Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sunday Inspiration for Writers

"My thoughts are completely different from yours," says the Lord. "And My ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts higher than your thoughts."  Isaiah 55:8-9 NLT

Ever feel like the world is just passing you by? Recognition is given to those who might have only striven a short while towards the same goal as you; choices for teams or projects are made that don't include you; you are excluded from an event you'd been anticipating for months-maybe even years.

It's so easy for us to forget that God is well aware of everything detail of our lives. Everything happens according to His plan. Envy is a sin that burns too readily in our hearts as our emotions war with God's plans. We want recognition for that which we've worked hard for. We don't readily understand how someone who has not put in the hours, paid the dues, worked their way up the ladder can reap the rewards we've striven so hard to attain.

As writers, maybe we've poured over a plot that just isn't gelling together for us, yet our critique partner can pop viable GMC concepts off like 4th of July fireworks. Maybe we've entered contests only to receive feedback and scores that hold our entries back just short of making the finals again and again. Maybe you have 10 unpublished manuscripts looking for a home and someone in your local writing chapter announces at the meeting they sold their first book...the first book they've ever tried to write...and it's taken them a whole year to do it.

Putting it in all too human terms: Life isn't fair.

But God is. God has perfect timing for us.

God knows exactly what he's doing. We need to trust in His Divine judgement. As another verse, Jeremiah 29:11 comes to mind -- "For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." -- remember God doesn't forget a thing. He knows our hopes and dreams. He loves us. Wait on Him.

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Audra:

    The problem is we can never be sure if God’s plan is for us to keeping working a plan that is not working or if His plan is to have us use our God given intelligence to change our plan which might very well be God’s true plan for us.

    Is life unfair? To us it may seem so. But think of the workers in the vineyard, Mark 20: 1-16, who worked all day and received the same pay as the workers who were hired late and only worked an hour. Moral: if God wants to be generous to those who only worked an hour, that’s His right!

    I don’t mind life being unfair. It’s just the way that it’s unfair that is so disturbing.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vince!

    I really struggle with understanding exactly whose "unfair" I'm dealing with. My perspective...God's...some random person. It's taken years, but I try to view all instances through the eye of everything works together for good.

    I used to try to force issues; make things go my way. I finally realized I wasn't happy making things go my way. Actually, more often than not, I regretted interferring.

    Patience is a virtue I'll spend my life pursuing. But I'm happy to say, I'm making headway : )

    ReplyDelete