Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sunday Inspiration for Writers

Until I get there, focus on reading the Scriptures to the church, encouraging the believers, and teaching them. 1 Timothy 4:13 NLT

Paul directed Timothy to read the Scriptures, encourage believers and teach them. Has the mission changed since that challenge and directive so many years ago? I don't think so. The message Jesus directed his disciples to spread is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Read the Scriptures. Encourage one another. Teach the masses.

In this day of unsolicited phone calls, junk mail, incessant television commericals, we are being pestered on every side to try the new and different. Invitations to attend social events come at us from all sides.  The concept of multi-tasking has taken on a life of its own. The desire for peace and quiet can become overwhelming. How can we be a help rather than a hinderance?

Where friends and acquaintences may balk at an invitation to attend a church service or any other organized meeting, the suggestion of reading a novel at their leisure is something easily accepted with no strings attached or timetable assigned. Though some may scoff at fiction being a viable vehicle for spreading the Word, in truth, many have found a seed planted in their hearts through the innocent enjoyment of reading an Inspiration romance.

As writers, we read the Scriptures so the Message of Salvation runs as a vibrant thread true to the Word of God. We reach out to other writers and encourage their journey, knowing God has chosen us to travel the same path but with unique goals He has placed in our hearts. We teach by the examples we set in every Christian fiction novel we write.

We, alone, can not bring a soul to salvation. We but plant the seed through the call to write placed on our hearts, and leave the harvest to the Lord.

Blessings as you face the week ahead!

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of planting seeds. I've always been turned off by blatant in-your-face evangelism, but sharing life...like sharing a book with the thread of faith...is the way I like to share God.

    Love your heart, Audra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago I was on the Evangelism team at church. I HAD to go out and pay a call on visitors from the previous Sunday. I always felt like I was intruding on them just to reinforce the fact they had visited our church.

    Most uncomfortable 3 years of my life.

    I enjoy weaving the thread of faith through my books much more!

    Thanks for stopping by, Sherrinda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Audra:

    In an over communicative world, such as ours, the way to get attention is to provide a respite – a refuge of peace and serenity. Christian fiction can be a safe haven for troubled souls. No preaching is necessary. Just show the benefits of leading a genuine Christian life. Do this while providing a most enjoyable reading experience and your writing efforts could make the difference, on the margin, (like the straw that broker the camel’s back) that moves a soul into the Christian sphere. This is a powerful influence that works without being felt. This is why Christ taught in parables. In this sense, writing good Christian fiction is being very Christ-like. What a glorious mission to have in life.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a glorious mission to have in life, Vince. I can't imagine writing romance without including the important thread of Christ's love for us.

    Back in my Evangelism days, I cringed over making welcome calls, but I also started a column in the monthly newsletter encouraging our congregation to show God's love by Offering Ourselves as examples. In my own little rebellious way, I tried to suggest that maybe our actions spoke louder than words...and knocking on doors.

    I may have made folks think, but I still had to make welcome calls...

    ReplyDelete