Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Scrivener for Windows

I have to admit, I wasn't watching for it, but I'm glad it finally arrived...

Scrivener for Windows.

Ever since my first NaNoWriMo when I first discovered this novel writing program, I was intrigued with all its features. Only problem - it came in a Mac version and sadly, I'm pretty PC minded. Now at the time, they were testing a beta program for Windows, but no real timeline for the finished product was set.

I was bummed. The whole concept of the novel writing software made me drool : )

As I was blog-hopping one day, I came across someone talking about the Scrivener for Windows and how much they loved it. Of course I scurried over to the Literature and Latte site to confirm the rumors...and it was true!

There are many novel writing programs on the market and I have test driven a few of them. I wanted the Scrivener program because it seemed to pull together all the tools I use to create with. Though it looks like the run-of-the-mill program, it has quite a depth of features I'm still discovering. L&L offers easy to follow tutorials and an in-depth instruction manual so even tech-challenged writers such as I can be up and running in a few hours.

  • I love the corkboard feature that lets me scribble down quick thoughts, label them by color associated with the character, and then I have the ability to move them around to remind myself what details I need to stick in where in my novel.
  • Moving scenes within the novel is as easy as click and drag
  • I can store photos, links, idea sketches per character
  • I can create templates in a data base
I'm still discovering hidden gems about the program. I've loving the treasure hunt : )

Check it out!
writing program


2 comments:

  1. Hi Audra,
    Love the new look of your blog! It's pretty and appealing and doesn't detract from the message.

    Scrivener. Funny I was talking to a friend at lunch the other day and she raved about it. She has a Mac and I was thinking about trying it on my new Mac when I realized I didn't want to write on the Mac, it was for my digital work.

    So yay, here is a post for PC Scrivener. Yay.

    I wonder how they compare? Anybdy know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried WriteWay and liked it, but found it difficult to navigate due to the lack of tutorial help.

    I love playing with the Scrivner for PC. It came complete with an awesome tutorial overview of all the functions and capabilities. I also found a Dummies book for Scrivner. Having an actual reference book makes it easier for me to go to my specific issue or problem and find solutions.

    Scrivner is a little daunting at first...actually I'm still a bit overwhelmed by it's capabilities. I know I haven't scratched the surface of it's tools available, but the resources to help me along the way make it worth for me to invest the brain cells necessary to learn the program.

    I like it : )

    ReplyDelete