Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

NaNoWriMo ~~ YAY!

Friends and family help me celebrate! I finished the NaNoWriMo challenge on November 27 with 52,634 words. Wow. The writing isn't pretty, but it gives me something to fix : )

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is every November. The concept challenges novelist and writers of any sort, to push themselves and their creativity. 50,000 words written in one month. If you're looking at writing a rough draft, it's pretty sweet.

You don't have time to edit.

You don't have time to plot.

You just write.

Frankly, I have a terrible time plotting out books. I spend too much time thinking and then my characters make unwise choices. NaNoWriMo gives your mind the freedom to write, to listen to your characters and let them show the direction they want to move in.

For me, my rough draft makes sense.

Like I said, my rough draft is not pretty, but I can clean it up. It's getting the book out of my head and on to the screen that's the hard part. Now that the journey is behind me, I work on the landscaping, the relationships and the roadblocks.

It's all good : )

Mark your calendars. November 2011. NaNoWriMo. Accept the challenge!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is awesome! Were you able to complete the book?

    I did not finish, but got 30,000 words down. I feel really good about that, and am glad to have started a new project. Hopefully I can get it finished by the new year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 30,000 words is great, Sherrinda! Just think about your average month. Do you write that much?? I don't! I THINK too much, LOL!

    I'm proud of you and your work. We need stuff like this to help us hone our habits, or fish us away from the bad ones.

    Way to go, girlfriend!!!

    Oh, and yes, I finished my rough draft. Tune in to Seekerville on Thursday, Dec 2 to see what I'm doing with my rough draft now, LOL!

    ReplyDelete